Until 2007, nobody might have seriously considered about a full-fledged mobile operating system. We were used to the bulky Nokia sets which were although solid and sturdy but were hardware based. we are defining the prominence of android operating system.
Nokia, the worldwide mobile giant at that time, was basically a hardware engineers dominated company & when Google reached them with the Idea of a mobile OS (android in its nascent stage) they gave them a smirk and out rightly rejected the offer. Today we know where is Nokia – nowhere.
From more than 60 % market share cap it has nosedived to just 3%.
It actually tells us that what happens to companies or in general people who do not accept or adjust to changes.
I-phone’s first version was introduced to us in 2007 which familiarised us to a luxury called mobile applications. It should be credited for starting the revolution in the mobile applications industry.
Slowly various Operating Systems emerged on the scenario including, Windows, Android, Blackberry etc.
Now we will talk about the Android operating system present in the mobile market and its caliber :
Evolution of Android:
Android is now the world’s most commonly used Smartphone platform and is used by many different phone manufacturers, mobile app & android app development companies . Android, which is Linux-based and partly open source, is more PC-like & its interface and basic features are generally more customizable than iOS from top to bottom. Android has reached up to 15 million apps in a very short period of time.
Now we will deal with the history and evolution of the features of Android:
- In 2005, Google acquired Android Inc. for around 50 million dollars and the Google Mobile Division was born.
- In September 2008, T-Mobile announced the first Smartphone based on Android. About a month later, Google released the Android 1.0 source code under the Apache license.
- Android 1.5 – Cupcake: April 27, 2009: Various Features included were :
- Camera was improved quite a bit (start and acquisition).
- Virtual Keyboard was introduced.
- YouTube and Picasa were introduced on mobile.
- Android 1.6 – Donut: September 15, 2009: Various Features included were:
- Quick search and voice search enabled
- Battery Indicator included
- Grouping of the camera and gallery App
- Android 2.0 – Éclair: October 26, 2009: Various Features included were:
- Email and contact synchronization introduced
- Bluetooth support started
- Browser Support
- Android 2.3 – Gingerbread: December 6, 2010
- Now easy and faster user experience
- New keyboard for faster text input
- copy/paste operation started in text
- Android 3.0 – Honeycomb: February 22, 2011:
- Interface optimized for Tablet
- Added tethering via Bluetooth
- Easy transfer of media files to your PC
- Android 4.0 – Ice Cream Sandwich: October 18, 2011:
- Gesture operations started
- Adding functionality such as managing folders, bookmarks and capture screenshots
- Swipe addition to hide notifications, close web pages and more
- Android 4.1 – Jelly Bean: July 9, 2012:
- Faster, smoother, more responsive to inputs
- Google Now, voice dictation offline
- Now app update become faster
- Android 4.4 – Kit Kat: October 31, 2013:
- Support for wireless printing
- Better Touch screen and memory
- Bluetooth MAP feature
- Android 5.0 Lollipop: November 12, 2014:
- Device sharing: multiple users and profiles on smart phones
- Material Design
- Android Smart Lock
- Android 6.0 Marshmallow: October 5, 2015:
- Improving the overall user experience of Lollipop
- New power management system
- Ability to migrate data and applications to a micro SD card
Future update of Android: The next android update will be Android N whose preview was unveiled by Google in late August 2016 which included various features or prominence of android such as:
1) Fingerprint API
2) Android Pay
3) Dark theme
4) RAM Manager
5) Home screen rotation
What is Android One: Android One was started with keeping developing markets in mind like India, Indonesia, Philippines, Nepal, Pakistan and other South Asian countries. Its so important to Google that Sundar Pichai, the most powerful man in the phone industry at its launch time flew down to New Delhi for the launching event. Its Features are:
- Every company like Samsung, Sony or HTC puts their own user interface and apps in the Google’s Android while Google wants the purest form of Android to be presented to you.
- These customizations fit well in the high-end phone but make a mess in the affordable segment of phones (5-10 thousand bucks)
- In Android one google has partnered with nine phone companies including HTC, Micromax and Xolo to provide its own version of Android.
- In Android one Google is in the driver’s seat instead of the phone company. The customisation in the OS are done by Google itself which makes it more suitable to low-end hardware (like Mediatek processors) .
- It doesn’t have any third-party user interface or unnecessary features crammed in. It’s the version of Android created by Google. This means when you buy an Android One phone, you get the Android experience.
- The user experience is quite smooth, lag-free and unparalleled because it is as you know Google’s form.
Google is responsible for delivering software updates to Android One phones. This means you can expect Android One phones to get latest version of Android ASAP without much delay like cheap phones which are rarely updated. These features are increase the importance of android or prominence of android.